Tuesday, June 29, 2010

I met a Street Marketeer

A street marketeer, promoting charity was talking to my wife while I was topping up cash cards. When I finished, I walked over and stood next to her. He smiled at me and asked me whether I am her friend. I told him that he is too late because she is my wife. :P

So I was thinking how to get out of the situation. So I told him, all these request for money has been old method and many charity organization, good or bad has resort to this method of raising money. Unfortunately most of the donors do not really know whether their money has been put to the right used or simply they don't bother. As I bother whether my monthly contribution will not be wrongly donated, I asked him how do I know whether my money is accounted for good use. He has no reply for that accept that my money is pooled to a fund to help the people in the organization.

I told him that what I will prefer to see either is I am giving the money personally to the cancer people that I am helping face to face or that they take the effort to account where my money goes to on a more individual approached rather than a general one. I hope that they can looked into this.

I had dinner with my wife and I asked how can charity now approached people who genuinely wants to help and also want to make sure that their money is put into good use. I suggested that first the organization do a tour for potential donors about what they do and during the tour they request for volunteers. The program for the volunteer should start with a non intensive work such as helping out in simple chores that take 1 to 2 hours for try out before letting people to get motivated on their own to volunteer in the more heavy program. In a way, this help to allow more people to be aware of what is happening to these people, motivation themselves to volunteer and have good faith that their money is put into good use.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:Tanjong Pagar

No comments: