Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Still Voice Within

"The only tyrant that I accept in the world is the still small voice within me" - Mahatma Gandhi

I have difficulty in understand the quote above. After googling for a while and reading the different perspective that was put forward, I took that little voice is either the mind or the soul that guides oneself on decision making. The mind has two advisers - the devil and the guardian. So which spirit should I trust? Well.... trust neither. Trust the soul. The soul is the purest since the body is born to the body dies.

Quoting again from 'Have A Little Faith' by Mitch Albom, he highlighted the story of Henry Covington who did many bad things in his youth like, robbing, drugs, etc. Each time he got into trouble, he begged for Jesus for help. And each time he managed to get away, he goes back to his old ways. There was this last time where he got himself in trouble again and he pleaded to Jesus that he will give his life to Jesus if he could get out from his bad situation again. Same as the last time, he did but after that, he turned over a new leaf. I was thinking, did Jesus really help him?

My view. The decision to turn over a new leaf was a decision make by himself, his soul in particularly. At that point in time, his soul took over his mind and guided him out. Whether he got out from his bad situation considered a miracle or not is not the point. The fact that he turn over a new leaf is the strength that his soul possess at that moment and continue to strengthen, took over his whole body including his mind and guided him out of his bad habits and keep him away from turning back.

My point is everyone has a Jesus, an Allah, a Buddha etc... in him or her. At times of trouble, it is the touch of this soul in the body that is so pure that guide oneself out from his/her sins. So stop thinking and get connected to this soul in within and let it guide your body towards your task in the universe.

So is Jesus involved?
Here's a nice incident in the book again where the rabbi narrated an incident which he had with his doctor. His doctor is not a believer of any faith. So every time the rabbi visited him, the doctor will criticize the rabbi's faith. One day, the doctor's brother died and the rabbi decided to send his condolences to the doctor. When he met the doctor, the doctor told him "I envied you!. If your loved one died, atleast you have someone to blame. You can blame on God but for me, I have only myself to blame for I can't saved my brother."

This episode tells me that if your own soul is not strong enough, having Jesus, Allah, Buddha etc around is good. Not to blame them but having a strong pillar to lean on in times of trouble to help managed one's emotions. At the same time, through these Great Ones' teachings, one can enhanced one own spirit, making one stronger so as to be able to face and handle other situations, one own as well as others.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: