Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Promise

I remember last year, after leaving the labour market for a while, I felt a little unproductive not bringing the bread to the family. Each day, I have to struggle hard to make meaning in my new found existence. For 10 years, I used to having a work to go every morning and a salary to look forward to at the end of each month. Breaking away from these norm seems to be so difficult. My life has been distracted by work for the past 10 years. And now? I reflected and realized that there are more than one role I have worn even when I am working I have put them in second spot. Now, since I am no longer an employee, there are now room for my other roles to reveal so clearly to me.

So what are these other roles? Being an employee paid well but being a good husband and the best dad paid even better. I can also choose to be a good son. Anyway, the day that my daughters were born, I have made a vow to be the best dad they ever had. Of course I am the only dad to them and already I believed I qualified as their best.

What about this unique vow that I have made not to myself but to someone and also in public.

"Will you, Roy take this woman Shirley to be your wedded wife, to live together in the legal estate of matrimony? Will you love her, comfort her, honour and keep her in sickness and in health and forsaking all others, be faithful to her, so long as you both shall live? I will."

All these criteria are within my own control and I doesn't need to learn how to do that.

So what I'm trying to say is even if I failed to do well in many roles, careers, friends, etc that I had in this life, I can still choose and be remembered by my wife as a good husband, my daugthers as a good father, parents as a good son.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: