Friday, December 31, 2010

What would you do if you have 24 hours to live?

In the book "Tuesday with Morrie" by Mitch Albom, Morrie was asked what if he has one day perfectly healthy?. Morrie is dying from an incurable disease. Morrie thought about a little and answered.

"Let's see... I'd get up in the morning, do my exercises, have lovely breakfast of sweet rolls and tea, go for a swim, then have my friends come over for a nice lunch. I'd have them come one or two at a time so we could talked about their families, their issues, talked about how much we mean to each other.

"Then I'd like to go for a walk, in the garden with some trees, watch their colors, watch the birds, take in the nature that I'd not seen in so long now.

"In the evening, we'd all go for dinner in some restaurant, with some great pasta, maybe with some duck - I loved duck and we dance for the rest of the night. I'll dance with all the wonderful partners out there, until I was exhausted. And then I'll go home and have a deep wonderful sleep.

"That simple, that average?" Mitch thought and he realized that Morrie could find perfection in such an average day.

So what will I do if I have only 24 hours left to live?
24 hours, such a short time?
What else have I long to do before my life end?
Something like I never done before? Get to the moon and back?
Go on spending spree and make my day happy?
Sigh... Probably not.

What will I do to make my life really feel complete?
Probably much the same way as what Morrie did.
He summarizes his life, the things he love to do, the experiences that has a major impact in his life - His family, his sports, his favorite food, his walk... that simple.
And amazingly, that is just everything he'd done before in his whole life.

That's 24 hours. What if I got 48 hours instead?
Will I still get to the moon? Probably still not.
I will have an extended version of the things I do in my 24 hours.
What if I got 1 week instead? Hmmm... a tougher question.
Maybe, I will need to start planning but I believed at the end, I will probably do the same thing that I did in my 24.

What if, what if I got a year instead, maybe longer 5 years, 10 years, 30 years?

Hmmm... get a job? Most people, and me myself will do just that

However, what happened to the things you will want to do if you got 24 hours to live?
Most people would have probably forgotten about it.
If the time to live increases, those important things in that short 24 hours that matters to you get postponed and postponed further and further away.
Still I can hear people, even myself saying I simply couldn't find the time.

Life is short and things can get unexpected.
So keep that 24 hours in mind.
Insert it into your weekly itinerary or aleast your monthly itinerary.
So that when things unexpected happened to you, at least you can leave feeling the 24 hours happens just yesterday.

"When you learn how to die, you learn how to live."- Morrie
When you learn what you will do in your last 24 hours, you will learn how to live your life. That is what I think Morrie is telling me.

Happy New Year!!!

No comments: